Thursday 26 June 2008

Education/Sadism

Okay.
I've been sitting on this one for a few days but now I want in.

Jenn Ashworth is running an MA in creative writing. I went to university for a bit and did most of a degree in English Literature with a few Creative Writing modules thrown in. It was alright, in hindsight, but I always wondered if it was really preparing me for the world outside. Arturo Bandini seemed to be having a hard time getting published, as did Buckowski.

It's alright working in a post office and getting really drunk and getting into fights and beating your wife, or flim flamming around LA eating oranges and complaining all the time about everything other than your implied toilet difficulties. Those things are alright if it's the fifties and if it's America. What we need now, and here, is a good old school of Hard Knocks.

Enter Ashworth University. The criteria and learning modules are explained in no uncertain terms here.

I'm going for it. I'm going for the torture, the self doubt, the loneliness, the endless repetition in the hope that, in the very least, I'll finish some stories. If I get published, that'll be a bonus, for I'll have Been Through It and Come Out The Other End a better writer, and a better person. Maybe.

Here is my 'author photo' what I took using the camera on my computer:


1. Black and white - CHECK
2. Arty - CHECK
3. Stroking of top lip - GETTING THERE
4. Glasses - CHECK
5. No smiling - CHECK
6. No teeth - CHECK





Apart from looking like I'm on my way to picking my nose, I think that'll pass. I don't wear glasses anymore. That must count for something.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

You're in. This is high-quality effort and I'm impressed.

I await your fees.

The cellar is ready.