Thursday 25 October 2007

Slug Tape

Slugs don't often have much business inside guitars. I know this, but most of the people I've asked for the item over the last few days have looked at me strangely, then watched me leave.

I need slug tape to line the inside of my guitars so that they don't go 'hmmmmmmm' by default. Slug tape is like copper cellotape and stops RF noise from getting in. I wish I knew what that meant, but I know it happens. I also don't know why slugs don't like copper...but I imagine for them it's like chewing tin foil if you've got fillings.

Wilko's should've had it, but they've got rid of all their gardening apparel in favour of a singing Santa, barbershop reindeer, and a crooning snowman. When you walk past they start up, all singing in tune, but not with each other. The resulting din is somewhere between that bit in a tape walkman when a battery is dying in the middle of a song, and an ambulance going by as you yourself lie dying smashed tape player in hand, after being mugged and trampled by hoodlum carol singers. Doppler shift. Blood filled ears. It's not nice.

Bennett's. DIY shops. B&Q. Homebase. Hardware stalls in the market. Both markets. Electrical shops. I know slug tape exists, I'm sure of it. After a whole day of looking around for this stuff I considered giving in and just using tin foil...but I can't. Not now. I've come too far. I won't be beaten by a dancing tree with an 8-bit Christmas medley repertoire...in October.

No comments: