Saturday 27 October 2007

Dennis

7 days ago I fell in love. His name was Dennis. I wasn't supposed to fall in love. In fact I'd told Jenny, just before we went, not to fall in love as it would surely end in tears.

5 days ago I went back and put my name down to adopt Dennis. I met him, we spent a minute or two alone together. Dennis is ace. I filled in a form. Then they told me that I'd need a landlord's letter and a house inspection. I had always known that this would happen, but love had it's way and closed the door to things known in favor of things desired.

4 days ago I considered chasing the landlord to let me and Dennis be together.

3 days ago I realised that the stairs were probably too much for Dennis to handle. You see, Dennis only has three legs. He'd been sent there by a vet who'd had to amputate his right hind after a fracture in an accident. The description was right, and I'd seen it with my own eyes, he could still get about no problem...but I live on the second floor of a big old house with big old stairs.

2 days ago I made plans to go back and tell them to let Dennis go to another home. I left that until today, I don't know why. I thought about going to see Dennis to say goodbye. I didn't. I just said to the girl there that the landlord probably wouldn't let Dennis and I be together, and anyway he'd probably be better off living in a bungalow with a big garden.



...now, one hour hence, watching Megastructures on National Geographic, dunking Bourbons, thinking of Dennis.

No comments: